Tuesday, March 31, 2009

My Biodata

My name is YuanYuan and I am currently a third year Life Sciences undergraduate studying in National University of Singapore (NUS). I will be graduating in May 2010 with a Degree in Bachelor of Science (Honours), with concentration in Biomedical Sciences. During my course of study in NUS, the modules have prepared me well in my theory and laboratory skills so that I am competent to enter the biomedical industry.

Besides the academics, I had also take part in organizing the Science Orientation Camp (SCAMP) for the freshman from the Faculty of Science, and actively participated in 'Space' under the Science Club. The co-curriculum activities had encouraged the development of my leadership skills and allowed me to learn how to manage time between my studies and the co-curriculum activities.

On top of that, I had an internship experience in Institute of Bioengineering and Nanotechnology in 2008. I was attached to a Senior Research Scientist and worked under my mentor for a research project. The past internship experience had allowed me to have a glimpse of how research work is done in real life, and I learnt to use sophisticated laboratory instruments. In addition, I had also picked up cell culturing skills and presentation skills. Most importantly, I learnt to be independent and plan my experiment in advance.

Prior to my university education, I was from Nanyang Junior College where I studied Mathematics, Biology and Chemistry. As such, my interest in Biology has led me to pursue Life Sciences in NUS. Other than the main curriculum, I was actively involved in the Guzheng Ensemble and took part in the Singapore Youth Festival (SYF) and performed in various occasions outside school. I had also taken part in other SYFs during my secondary school days when I represent the school's Wind Orchestra. As a sectional leader of the Wind Orchestra, I learnt to coordinate, communicate, and motivate my team members. Clearly, a leader should also be responsible and capable of setting a common goal for the team.

On the whole, I hope that the valuable experiences and skills that I have learnt so far can be useful in my future job search. However, I would also like to see and learn more whenever possible.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Yuan Yuan,

    Your biodata is nicely structured in a chronological order from your university's achievements to JC's and secondary's.

    Internship and your active participation in CCAs certainly impress the readers! And i thought it is good you are able to mentioned important qualities such as independence which is important in the industry you wish to enter in.

    Overall, the biodata is well-written to let us know who you are and maybe you can touch on abit on your hobbies. :)

    Cheers!

    Johny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi YuanYuan,

    I like your biodata, clear and concise! You have also included the important skills you learnt in each of your experiences. That is good to allow the readers to know what your advantages are.

    I agree with Johny to include some of your interests/hobbies too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Johny and Jane,

    I thought that my biodata was quite long so I never include my hobbies and other achievements. But after reading all your biodata, I thought that I should seriously improve mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi YuanYuan,

    Your biodata is concise, and usually clear. For your internship, did you work on a specific project? If so, would it be a good idea to name it? Wait, you probably would modify it based on what employer you are applying to. Also, may actually be better to keep it general so they have some questions to ask you. Was this your thinking?

    You mention that you are doing an honours. What is your project?

    Excellent job in your presentation the other day.

    Best,
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yuan!

    Which instruments did you play in Wind? I didn't know you can play Guzheng too. Haha.

    Ok, back to your biodata. You have talked about your SCAMP, your internship and your leadership posts you have held. I felt that you can actually talk more about the things you have learned. For example, the ability to work as a team in addition to the ability to work individually. Since in research, we often have to work as a group in addition to our individual project.

    I like your entry. Concise and short. Though I think you can still add more of your achievements. There is just too much to write within 200-250 words.

    And I also like it that you talk about being competent in entering the biomedical industry. A direct connection. >_<

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Yuan yuan,

    Certainly know more about you after reading your entry. I agree with Matt that perhaps, it is good to highlight the specifics of the research project which you have undertaken during your internship. Further, perhaps you could tune it somehow to show that it suits the job which you are applying for in the future? :-)How about mentioning those qualities needed of a researcher, after observing the senior research scientist at work during your internship? For e.g. independence and the "never say die" attitude?

    Our class seemed to have many musically inclined girls! Share with us those photos of you playing the Guzheng. Should be like a 古典美人! :-)

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kenny and Matt,

    The reason why I did not choose to mention the research project was because of confidential issues that I could not disclose to the public. Some research companies are very concerned about disclosing the research projects that they are working on. But I also think that it would be good to add on qualities that a researcher need. (:

    I'm still in my year 3 of study, so I have not confirmed my honours project yet.

    And to Kal, I played trumpet and cornet in Winds. I agree that I should add more achievements in the biodata.

    Thanks for the comments!! (:

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Yuanyuan,

    This is a good biodata entry. The entry is short, clear and gives a good impression of you. I always feel that biodata information should be concise, with elaborations only in the job application letters that you send out. I think you should name the PI in charge of you during your attachment. This would give most people an impression of the kinds of research that you had did. I wish you all the best for your research project with Prof. Anand.

    ReplyDelete